[LEDE-DEV] What optimizations does low-end MIPS userspace need?

Jay Carlson nop at nop.com
Sat Apr 15 15:47:41 PDT 2017

> On Apr 15, 2017, at 1:57 AM, Alexandru Ardelean <ardeleanalex at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 at 02:01, Jay Carlson <nop at nop.com> wrote:
>
>> I’ve been fooling around with various userspace toolchain hacks for mips, trying to make things faster globally. But then I realized: I don’t know what “faster” is. Or what “better” is, in general.
>>
>> I want my Python/Firmata apps to launch faster on mt7688, but there is a clear metric for winning there; I don’t need your help. :-)
>
> Strictly speaking for Python (if you haven't already) you might want to check some recent changes.
>
> Python now ships with bytecode files instead of source.
> Seems that app startup is improved by even a factor of 9x on some low end CPUs.
> Something like 500 msecs to 70 msecs to start a simple Hello World script.

Very cool. That’s

"python: use default host build prefix, remove cross-compile workarounds for host” [1]

and

"python,python3: drop remove .pyc & .pyo files” [2]

right?

--
Jay Carlson
nop at nop.com

[0]: Am I supposed to be citing the openwrt package repository? If so, how?
[1]: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/commit/b70b978cc61bdd6fcdc7f8f7bae8ee3ef16baf4a
[2}: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/commit/05f8d6edf06c93dadab34f14a5fad48449dd7eda