[LEDE-DEV] Using stable wireless/kernel but trunk userspace/kernel

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Tue Apr 4 23:02:11 PDT 2017

On 2017-04-05 07:59, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> On 2017-04-05 02:14, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm wondering if there is an easy way to use trunk userspace with the stable
>> release's wireless (and if necessary the rest of the kernel).  The reason I
>> ask ask is that at this time my primary concern with doing dog-fooding with
>> things I develop for LEDE is that I can end up with wireless compliance
>> issues (and/or not able to use wifi due to problems, but that's a lesser
>> concern since I can fall back to wired on most devices where it matters).
>> I've been reassured that my contributions are still welcome, so if I can
>> resolve that slight hiccup, I think LEDE is the way to go for ar71xx devices
>> (otherwise just not use ar71xx).
> One thing you should consider is that since we still have kernel 4.4 on
> ar71xx, by switching to the in-kernel wireless stuff you will end up
> adding back a sizeable amount of bugs that have been fixed in the
> out-of-tree package.
> What kind of wifi issues are you looking into? Maybe I can help get
> those fixed.
Sorry, it seems that I misunderstood your question (too early in the
morning I guess). For Linux 4.4 you should be able to integrate the
makefile and patches of the mac80211 package from the stable release
(leave out files/ for compatibility reasons). On targets using Linux
4.9, you will have to revert the kernel as well (use the stable branch
not the stable release here).

- Felix