[LEDE-DEV] Using stable wireless/kernel but trunk userspace/kernel

Daniel Dickinson cshore at cshore.thecshore.com
Tue Apr 4 17:14:58 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to use trunk userspace with the stable
release's wireless (and if necessary the rest of the kernel).  The reason I
ask ask is that at this time my primary concern with doing dog-fooding with
things I develop for LEDE is that I can end up with wireless compliance
issues (and/or not able to use wifi due to problems, but that's a lesser
concern since I can fall back to wired on most devices where it matters).
I've been reassured that my contributions are still welcome, so if I can
resolve that slight hiccup, I think LEDE is the way to go for ar71xx devices
(otherwise just not use ar71xx).

I've investigated OpenEmbedded/Yocto and although I've got lots of devices
where size is not an issue (non-ar71xx), I've still got the problem that it
doesn't have much in the way of networking support, except as a client.
I've started some WIP to try and bring ubus/netfid etc to OpenEmbedded
without using it as just an alternate build system for LEDE but I'm debating
the value of the effort.  It seems to me that if LEDE continues to support
small devices, it's still the best game in town for such devise.

Regards,

Daniel