[LEDE-DEV] [wiki]Wiki structure proposals and some questions

Martin Tippmann mt at i3o.de
Thu Sep 29 04:49:00 PDT 2016

Hi,

> On 09/28/2016 05:51 PM, Alberto Bursi wrote:
>> I recently posted in the discussion page of the todo page of the wiki.
>> https://wiki.lede-project.org/talk:to_do_list

I quote that here and add my personal thoughts/opinion:

> Structure:
> I was thinking about dividing the wiki in five main pages (names not final): “LEDE info” (links to forums, mailing list, contacts, copies of their meeting's transcripts, and any LEDE-related information that does not relate directly to the firmware and the hardware) “this wiki” (where we have the wiki rules, the TODO and other wiki-related information) “installation/configuration” (of LEDE and of packages), “developer documentation” (where info about how things are supposed to work currently, and how to make your own firmware), and last but not least “supported hardware” (with ToH and all that). Then all other things are children of these pages, for example in the “installation/configuration” you will find “downloading” “installation” “basic configuration” “advanced configuration”. Under “first time configuration” you can find all topics that matter to get the router up and running in a simple home network, under “advanced configuration” you find all topics for configuring everything else. And so on and so forth.

Looks good to time, maybe Thomas has also comments on that?

> Also I'd like to have the “hardware support” page to have the devices divided by most likely usecase, for example the obvious biggest category is the one about “routers”, but also one about NAS devices (most Kirkwood-based devices are NAS, not routers for example and LEDE supports only a fraction of those out in the wild), a page about wifi music streamers (there are a few supported), a page about dev boards, and so on. I'd like to have only very odd stuff in the “miscellaneous” category.

Not sure if that's a good idea and better than a list because it's
effort to maintain, would be cool if these pages could be a "fallout"
of a category in the table of hardware and be generated and updated
from a single source.

> The general idea is making something like NasCentral wiki (they do it with brands and make sub-wikis with a different hostname, I'm not asking to make subwikis here) http://www.nas-central.org/wiki/Main_Page

I personally don't think that this approach would work well for LEDE -
the default setup is the same for all models and hardware details are
mostly abstracted away and not model specific. Maybe it's useful to
group documentation for NAS like hardware into the same namespace or
something like that but the overall idea is IMHO that you can do what
you want with the router, or maybe I'm did not fully understand you
here.

But there are already a lot of wonderful and great router icons here:
https://github.com/Moorviper/Freifunk-Router-Anleitungen/wiki  maybe
these could be used and build upon.

I'm a little late (sorry) but I hope we soon have a staging wiki were
we can experiment and setup different ideas without breaking stuff.

>> Now, apart from that I'd like to note that while I can get a nice
>> forum-like interface where I cal also select if I want to get emails
>> to notify answers when it's my first post in a discussion page, on
>> that page I seem to get only the generic wiki editing interface.

I guess if there is a DokuWiki plugin for that it's possible. I'll look into it.

>> Also, it would be cool to get email notifications about any page
>> modification to pages I subscribed or have chosen somehow too, I
>> didn't find anything to set that.

Again, I guess we have to resort to a plugin here - and it should
probably not be the default to receive mails.

regards
Martin