[LEDE-DEV] A Wiki for LEDE Documentation

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Fri Sep 16 10:22:53 PDT 2016

On 16/09/2016 18:47, Alberto Bursi wrote:

> On 09/16/2016 06:23 AM, John Crispin wrote:
>>
>> On 15/09/2016 22:41, Alberto Bursi wrote:
>>> Note that I'm not talking about the wiki. That was not a major issue as
>>> being a separate thing it can be set up unofficially, or whatever.
>>> I am just arguing about principles here, as I'm spotting a possibly bad
>>> pattern where the same bad practices of OpenWRT can bite again.
>> i am spotting that you are missing the point. i agree that your thread
>> of argumentation was valid fro owrt. things were often not possible
>> without the approval of the grandmaster. here things are different. we
>> dished out commit access to lots of people. opened up the comms, became
>> very transparent and after you guys started a discussion on how the wiki
>> should go we did not intervene but simply endorsed it. this is very far
>> from the old pattern of modus operandi. however your call for strong
>> leadership and guidance sounds like a wish to return to that which i
>> think most people do not want to do. you are free to do as you please.
>> if you need something from other community members simply ask and you
>> will get an answer.
>>

> 1. I'm not advocating for a Third LEDE Reich so please stop thinking I
> am lol.
>
> 2. I'm not talking of just the wiki, the answers I got from that
> discussion did trigger this.

ah ok, was not aware that we were mixing topics here, i thought we were
discussing the wiki and forum.

> jow said "don't hold back yourself waiting for a response from "the LEDE
> devs" -
>
> those who care about a wiki will likely endorse whatever good solution
> is proposed and the rest either has no opinion or time to participate in
> the decision making processes"
>
> I was just pointing out that for people this isn't obvious, and that getting any answer isn't a given.

i think you were just unlucky to not get some of the stuff below
answered immediately.

> To make some examples, I posted some weeks back asking things and making
> a proposal about kirkwoods, I got no answer.
> I also sent a mail to Felix I think as I saw he seemed interested in
> Kirkwoods in the last meeting logs, still no answer.

i guess kirkwood is somewhat unmaintained at the moment. i dont have any
kirkwood hw and no access to the datasheets so i cant help i am afraid.

> There is a guy that posted a big pull request about Mikrotik devices and
> after he fixed all stuff you asked him he got no answer for like a month
> even after he asked if you had forgotten him. I mean how about posting
> something like "we are busy, it will be merged next month"?

ok, the one big commit that has been dangling for ages. point taken
there is indeed one. i could argue that we merged over 1k other commits
in the past few months.

> I open a pull request to fix something about kirkwoods, someone assigns
> it to himself, but then no answers or status updates for two weeks.
> Then there are other guys in this mailing lists that seem to have had
> issues with this lack of people answering too, like fhfrediani at gmail.com.

again, point taken, a minuscule amount of patches in the region of less
than 0.5% has not been merged within a few days.

as jow said, dont take it personal. if people dont reply, be more
persistent. if all else fails hunt people down in IRC.

	John