[LEDE-DEV] can swconfig turn out the LEDs?

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:46:49 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 8:51 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> recently a whole bunch of posts went around on network world,
> slashdot, and elsewhere, about how to go about disabling or dimming
> the leds.
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/article/3119881/mobile-wireless/the-scourge-of-leds-everywhere-readers-speak-out.html
>
> In my own post I'd found a way to nuke many lights, but not all. In
> particular, is there a way to tell swconfig to turn out the light
> entirely?
>

> --
> Dave Täht
> Let's go make home routers and wifi faster! With better software!
> http://blog.cerowrt.org

Would be interesting to try to implement.
Disabling LEDs (entirely) looks pretty driver specific.

The rtl8366 (variants), rtl8367 and ar8327 seem to implement in the
driver, the blinkrate controls.
For example, on the b53 driver there is no control for LEDs
whatsoever, though technically the chip may support it.

Looking a bit into the driver (referenced in your blog):
https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/target/linux/generic/files/drivers/net/phy/rtl8366s.c#L901

It looks like there is some per-port control of the led mode.
Though, I haven't found anything detailing those modes.

So you could try out a few variants with
swconfig dev rtl8366s port X set led Y
(or something like that)