[LEDE-DEV] Documentation for router support means the famous Table of Hardware

Jo-Philipp Wich jo at mein.io
Tue Sep 13 15:57:19 PDT 2016

Hi Tarek,

Thomas Endt and others invested a lot of time to implement a structured
table of hardware in the OpenWrt wiki, which means that a lot of detail
information is accessible in a SQLite3 database file which should make
it easy to generate hardware documentation pages with a little script
and a few self-join queries.

I also think that such a model would be a viable option for the future:
have a structured data entry dialog in the wiki which fills a database,
have all the surrounding wiki capabilities for free text information and
use the resulting database backend data to provide other, non-wiki
services like a vendor/model search to to download link redirection.

Imho a well maintained hardware database is a very important topic for
LEDE, OpenWrt and other associated projects but we need to find a sane
middle ground that does not upset too many potential contributors but
still yields a reasonable data quality...

On a related note I wonder if anyone ever thought about joining forces
with WikiDevi? It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do but I
recall that the site operators are rather hard to contact.

Just my two cents :)

Regards,
Jo