[LEDE-DEV] A Wiki for LEDE Documentation

Josh Farwell josh.farwell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 22:39:25 PDT 2016

@Aaron Z
> Agreed.
> I am familiar enough with flashing, configuring and Wiki editing that
> I am comfortable/willing to work on editing/cleanup of whatever wiki
> is chosen, however, my availability will be spotty until Nov as we are
> about to enter the busy season at work (12+ hour days M-F and 6-8 more
> hours on Sat).
> I do not consider myself competent to setup the backend for such a
> wiki, but I am willing to work with the pages and clean up as I have
> time.

I am in the middle of a busy season at my job as well but I will
consistently have a few hours every week to put into the wiki for the
foreseeable future.

If the project needs someone to set up and run the infra I can
volunteer, at least for the setup and administration in the short
term.

@Bill Moffet
>I'll throw out another candidate: Twiki (twiki.org).
>
>I have used it, I wasn't crazy about it, but it had some nice features. And I cannot say with >certainty how it would map into our use for LEDE.

What were the features that you liked from Twiki? It's quite possible
that we could install some extensions to Dokuwiki that can give us
similar functionality; there's a pretty active community around them.

I'm certainly not opposed to using other Wiki software either; my only
real opinion is that there are better options than the classic
standby, Mediawiki. Besides that and Doku, the only other one I've
personally hosted is MoinMoin, and I don't really recommend it. I
guess I've run Confluence too but unless someone's got a friend at
Atlassian it's not really viable.

One of the ones I've always been interested in is Gollum; it powers
the Github wikis. [1] I'm not sure if it piques anyone else's
interest. I think that access control is only available via a patch
though.

-- J

[1] https://github.com/gollum/gollum/wiki