[LEDE-DEV] Documentation for router support means the famous Table of Hardware

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:49:57 PDT 2016

What a great discussion! I am delighted to see so much interest in the LEDE project, and concern for its success.

But I want to pick up on something that Thomas said...

> On Sep 8, 2016, at 1:38 PM, Thomas Endt <tmo26 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> ... However, I'm
> hesitating to invest as much time as I used to some months ago, since I
> don't want to see my efforts wasted in a project that's somehow stalled due
> to the split in LEDE and OpenWrt. I can only invest time in _one_ project,
> and preferrably that would be a project that is live and vital.

The way to ensure that LEDE thrives is to cause more people to come to it. That means, making it inviting. Right now, a new visitor to lede-project.org will see a few nicely formatted welcome pages, downloadable firmware images, but no documentation to speak of, and no (obvious) community.

Yet the mailing list that shows an incredibly high level of activity from the core developers (dozens of patches a day), and this discussion shows there that LEDE involves a lively and interested group of people.

To indicate this vibrancy to the world, we need to be more proactive in telling the world about ourselves. I advocate that we set up:

1) A Wiki that serves as documentation for LEDE
2) A Forum that lets the community talk to each other

I'll talk about each in their own threads, so each conversation can continue on its own. Thanks.

Rich Brown