[LEDE-DEV] Documentation for router support means the famous Table of Hardware

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Thu Sep 8 03:59:18 PDT 2016

Jan-Tarek Butt <tarek at ring0.de> wrote:
> > Since I was referenced in that thread on the OpenWrt forum, I'll give my
> > two cents. The documentation initiative I tried to start seemed to
> > fizzle out from the difficulty in getting the front page of the wiki
> > changed to be more useful. When changes didn't seem possible (and it
> > wasn't clear how to make them happen), folks kind of lost commitment. I
> > will try to contact the folks I know though.
> >
> > I think the idea of having the hardware support documentation managed by
> > experts is a good idea. Non-experts can, and should, have plenty of
> > areas to contribute but I don't see this area as one of them.
>
> I think so too. A further advantage over openWRT wiki is, we
> can auto generate many out of sources. Like target lists and
> device lists Also links and some other stuf.

If you want to make some sort of autogenerated link tree to make
it easier for people to find downloads, instead of having to work
out or know in advance the archtecture of their targets, that
sounds useful. Like, "where is the image for my company X, model
BVBBB in this list:
http://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/" ?

But trying to apply this sort of autogeneration to any sort of
meaningful description of each device, build notes, recovery
tips, hardware sources, of the sort that was available in the
openwrt hardware wiki sounds like a recipe for a sterile
wasteland of autogenerated pages that all look the same and have
no meaningful extra information in them.

Sincerely,
Karl P