[LEDE-DEV] kernel: remove switch driver kmod packages

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Thu Sep 1 08:00:23 PDT 2016

Felix,

In a5c32a1f1996f4f75504c4a9abd1c99eaa598df1 you removed
kernel/linux/modules/dsa.mk claiming that targets needing switch
drivers should select them in their kernel configs thus preventing
bloat creeping into targets that don't need switchdev/dsa.

What that implies is that every target board of a given target arch
gets bloated. For example, for the imx6 targets there are wandboard
and ventana. Ventana can benefit from switchdev/dsa (if the user is
using a GW16083 expansion card I might add - the switch is 'not' on
the baseboards) but for Wandboard including switchdev/dsa in the
kernel config is bloat.

Is there some way that I'm not aware of to per-target kernel config or
do you have any thoughts to support such a thing?

Regards,

Tim