[LEDE-DEV] Stability & release plans

yanosz lede at yanosz.net
Sat Oct 22 03:41:56 PDT 2016

Hello folks,

running a community based wifi network based on OpenWRT I'm thinking
about using lede. Do you have any suggestions on this?

For doing so, I see the need for a more less stable base (stable as in:
few bugs, few refactorings / changes over time) Looking at lede at
moment I seed nightly builds and agile moving trunk, only.

It's essential, that tutorials on wifi node setups are usable over time,
that provided settings are applicable for a reasonable and foreseeable
amount of time and that users are able to install additional packages
(even kernel modules such as batman-adv) weeks / months after a release.
>From my impression this cannot be done using nightly builds based trunk
snapshots. :-(

When lede was founded earlier this year, the goals were [1]:

"- Building a great embedded Linux distribution with focus on stability
  and functionality.
- Having regular, predictable release cycles coupled with community
  provided device testing feedback.
- Establishing transparent decision processes with broad community
  participation and public meetings."

Is this still up to date or has lede's focus changed so far?
Please don't get me wrong - I really do appreciate your work and your
doing a very got in job in developing an embedded Linux distribution -
but this not the point.
I'm in the need for a predictable release cycle and a transparent
decision process on upcoming release dates.

If lede's mission has changed so far, please let me know - if not,
please let me know how to get information on upcoming release plans.

Thanks,
yanosz

[1] https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2016-May/041224.html

--
For those of you without hope, we have rooms with color TV,
cable and air conditioning