[LEDE-DEV] uqmi: re-enable autoconnect which was dropped without explanation

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Thu Oct 20 03:09:36 PDT 2016

On 2016-10-19 23:49, Petr Štetiar wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> it seems like that this autoconnect feature is causing some regressions and a
> headaches to few people :-) I'm talking about this commit in particular:
>
> 	Author: Felix Fietkau <nbd at nbd.name>
> 	Date:   Thu Sep 22 20:07:45 2016 +0200
>
> 	    uqmi: re-enable autoconnect which was dropped without explanation
>
> 	    Fixes a regression in commit 8f24ee638275:
> 	    "uqmi: Add proper IPv6 support"
>
> I'm using Quectel EC20 miniPCIe modem mainly in Slovakia and Czech Republic.
> Till now, without autoconnect enabled it was working fine in both networks, but
> now after this change has been pulled into my device I'm no more able to
> initiate the connection in Slovakia:
>
>         netifd: wan (1681): Waiting for network registration
>         netifd: wan (1681): Starting network internet
>         netifd: wan (1681): Unable to connect IPv4
>         netifd: wan (1681): Unable to connect
>
> To get it working again, I've to just remove autoconnect from start-network
> command:
>
> 	--- a/package/network/utils/uqmi/files/lib/netifd/proto/qmi.sh
> 	+++ b/package/network/utils/uqmi/files/lib/netifd/proto/qmi.sh
> 	@@ -112,8 +112,7 @@ proto_qmi_setup() {
> 			${auth:+--auth-type $auth} \
> 			${username:+--username $username} \
> 			${password:+--password $password} \
> 	-               --ip-family ipv4 \
> 	-               --autoconnect`
> 	+               --ip-family ipv4`
>
> To me it seems like this autoconnect option is being propagated throught the
> network and the network operator could refuse connection with this option. I
> don't have any other logical explanation.
>
> How to fix it for both use cases, with and without autoconnect feature?
> Introduce qmi_autoconnect config option?
I think we probably need to introduce such an option as a temporary
measure.

The problem with not using autoconnect is that once the link is gone for
a while, the link will be torn down and not re-established anymore. To
deal with that properly, we need some code to monitor the link and try
to re-establish the connection when it's gone.

- Felix