[LEDE-DEV] per device rootfs vs multiple devices

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Wed Oct 12 03:59:27 PDT 2016

Hi,

I was trying to add help text to the generated Kconfig for the
CONFIG_TARGET_MULTI_PROFILE and CONFIG_TARGET_PER_DEVICE_ROOTFS
settings based on some irc conversations with nbd, and was trying
out the behaviour to verify my help text.

The text I've got for per device rootfs is:

"When disabled, all device packages from all selected devices
will be included in all images. When enabled, this is split,
however you can no longer disable individual device packages."

I locally modified two targets to have extra "DEVICE_PACKAGES"
(Added avrdude to one target and sqlite3-cli to another)

Doing a full "make clean; rm .config, menuconfig; select multi
profile, select two devices; make" _without_ per device rotofs,
gives me an image with both device packages in both device
images, as expected. In menuconfig, the two packages are marked
as * by default, but can be deselected, or changed to M without
problem.

However, enabling CONFIG_TARGET_PER_DEVICE_ROOTFS seems to only
be affecting the select/deselect behaviour. The two packages are
now shown in menuconfig as {*} and can't be disabled anymore.
That is as per nbd's description. But with the full make clean,
rm .config builds, _both_ target images are still including both
packages. Further, there's only a single rootfs file built in the
bin directory. "lede-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs"

I presume this is a bug in the PER_DEVICE_ROOTFS support, but it
could also just be that the documentation isn't clear and I
misunderstood nbd's description.

Directions?

Sincerely,
Karl Palsson