[LEDE-DEV] Adding a extroot-ready firmware image to download repositories

Alberto Bursi alberto.bursi at outlook.it
Tue Oct 11 07:48:53 PDT 2016

I'm currently editing the wiki to add stuff, I'm on the extroot page.

The extroot tutorial is 100% easy to follow also for newbies, the big
issue is that for devices with 4 MiB storage space you can't install the
packages needed and there is no pre-made image with the tools to do it.

So they need to have a linux system or make a VM to install the image
generator, and learn how to use it to generate a extroot-friendly image.
(not that it is hard, but for most people it's much more time lost to
get the device set up)

Also, having additional firmware images with the tools inside already
would be cool for everyone.

Would it be possible to tell the buildbots to make a variant of the
flashable images for extroot use for all eligible devices (storage < 4
MiB and usb/sata/sdcard)?

For the sake of clarity, these are the packages needed by one of such
devices to be able to extroot (I think most devices have the
usb/sata/sdcard packages pre-selected in their own profile, so that
should not be required).

blkid block-mount kmod-fs-ext4

-Alberto