[LEDE-DEV] Call defines for minifying scripting languages

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Mon Oct 3 14:03:14 PDT 2016

Jan-Tarek Butt <tarek at ring0.de> wrote:

> On 10/03/16 17:00, Bastian Bittorf wrote:
> > * Jan-Tarek Butt <tarek at ring0.de> [03.10.2016 16:55]:
> >> currently I am working on a Shellscript minifyer
> >> there are not realy exsist one so I write a new one.
> >
> > hopefully in haskell 8-)
> > you made my day 8-) ROFL!
> >
> > I think this is a bad idea. In practise you
> > safe nothing but make debugging harder, the JFFS2 or
> > squashfs already compresses text/shellscripts very good.
>
> for debugging you can easly use scp to copy the unminified code
> on your dev router. For the most routers or users they dont
> need all comments.

No, you can't easily. Do you always have the exact same version
source tree kept handy and ready? Does the device even have
network access to where you have the source? If you want to make
sweeping comments about "most", then "most" users won't care
about the scripts _at all_ right up until they try and look in
one to debug something behaving oddly. At _that_ point they will
care _very much_ that it's all minified garbage, with some
presumption that they could "just get the source somewhere else"

Sincerely,
Karl Palsson