[LEDE-DEV] Call defines for minifying scripting languages

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Mon Oct 3 12:13:00 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 01:00:19PM +0200, Jan-Tarek Butt wrote:
> My Idea ist to create calldefs to minify all scriptes there are
> interpreted by run time.
>
> 1. Reducing memory size on firmware images.

this is absolutely negligible. as others already pointed out, scripts
compress quite well. also, they are actually only a rather small
fraction of the image's total size.

> 2. Strip out all comments (which makes us able to do better code
> commenting)

you mean, we can make the scripts *yet bigger* because it won't
negatively affect the image's size. except that point 1, so this isn't
actually a limiting factor. writing said comments and keeping them
up-to-date is the problem.

> 3. and so on.

i think mostly "whatever". ;)

i'll also pre-emptively point out that minification has a rather
insignificant impact on run time - the only thing that is slowed down is
the tokenization/parsing, and that is again rather insiginificant
compared to everything else executing a script involves.

but hey, make some actual measurements - maybe you'll surprise me.