[LEDE-DEV] replacing files in base system from a package?

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Mon Oct 3 06:26:29 PDT 2016

What's the "new" way of doing this? In the past, in OpenWrt CC
and before, a package could install files like /etc/banner and
/etc/inittab that were provided by the base-files package. It was
always listed as "unreliable" as apparently you couldn't rely on
the order. In practice it actually worked just fine.

Presently, LEDE actively prevents this, with the build scripts
failing the build with

 * check_data_file_clashes: Package blah wants to install file /home/karlp/src/lede-source/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl-1.1.15/root-ar71xx/etc/banner
	But that file is already provided by package  * base-files
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package blah wants to install file /home/karlp/src/lede-source/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl-1.1.15/root-ar71xx/etc/inittab
	But that file is already provided by package  * base-files
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package blah.
package/Makefile:56: recipe for target 'package/install' failed

Now, clearly I could just edit the base-files package in a forked
repository. However, the motivation of using a package was to
avoid forking LEDE. I've seen talks and presentations on this,
"use a package!"

What's the currently accepted mechanism for including replacement
files in a custom build?

Sincerely,
Karl Palsson