[LEDE-DEV] Speedport W504V | ARV8539PW22 - gets very hot !

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Sat Oct 1 05:24:05 PDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 12:49:49PM +0200, Dennis Schneck wrote:
> I have a Speedport W504V | ARV8539PW22, but i gets very hot (without
> doing anything, only power on some minutes).

define "very hot".
the box has a power consumption of around 5w when the dsl connection is
down, and goes up to almost 10w when it comes up. this produces a rather
significant amount of heat.

i find this actually quite disappointing.
the o2 box 4421 consumes around 7w with dsl on. it's based on the same
soc (danube), so it's probably better because it contains way less
auxiliary hardware.
the old speedport w701v based on the ar7 soc consumes around 6w despite
having roughly the same auxiliary hardware as the w504v. the lower max
bitrate (16mbit/s vs. 26mbit/s) is certainly the key here.
and vdsl2 modems typically consume something in the range of 15w. the
other end probably has a comparable consumption, so a single subscriber
weights in with ~30w non-stop power consumption (let's face it, most
people never turn off their modems). this makes the faster dsl variants
an ecologically rather questionable technology ...

fwiw, if anyone has ideas for tuning options how to limit power
consumption, i'm all ears. my connection is artificially limited to
~7mbit/s raw dsl bandwidth anyway.