[LEDE-DEV] enabling 3G interface in DLink DWR-512

Giuseppe Lippolis giu.lippolis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:51:01 PST 2016

Dear All,
my preliminary board porting for the dwr-512 has been accepted in the
mainstream.
The dwr-512 have an embedded pcie 3G modem (see
https://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/d-link/d-link_dwr-512_b )

Currently all the kernel module and package needed to enable the connection
are embedded in the image.

But in order to start-up the 3G interface the following modification need to
be manually added:

in config/network:
config interface 'wan3g'
	option proto		3g
	option service		'umts'
	option 'device' 		'/dev/ttyUSB0'
	option apn		'web.vodafone.de'
	option pincode		'****'

in config/firewall:
config zone
	option name		wan
	list   network		'wan'
+	list   network		'wan3g'
	list   network		'wan6'
	option input		REJECT
	option output		ACCEPT
	option forward		REJECT
	option masq		1
	option mtu_fix		1

in /etc/gcom/setpin.gcom adding (before to set the pin) :
send "AT+CFUN=1^m"
 waitfor 20 "OK","ERR"

and manually send the following command:
echo '2001 7d04 ff' > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

and finally if-up wan3g

Is clear that at the end is responsibility of the user set the  apn and the
pincode in config/network, but how I would like to "prepare" the 3G setup,
keeping disabled the wan3g interface (option enabled 0), but adding all the
described step in the image.

Therefore, currently, my question is how shall I modify (as described) the
config/network and config/firewall file?
And where to put the "echo '2001 7d04 ff' >
/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id" command to attach the driver to
the modem?

Thanks.