[LEDE-DEV] can I have some feedback about a wrapper to call initscripts

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Tue Nov 22 02:12:53 PST 2016

Jo-Philipp Wich <jo at mein.io> wrote:
> Hi Alberto,
>
> personally I like the service wrapper since it alligns the
> service handling with Debian and older CentOS / Redhat distros.

If it looks like debian and out of date unsupported
centos/redhat, but is actually completely different, is it really
helpful to make it look like something it's not?

The life of the "service <xxxx> start|stop|status" really wasn't
very long. It didn't offer command completion without shell
programming, and was simply a rewording of /etc/init.d/xxxx
start|stop|status. Redhat based distros moved to systemd, ubuntu
went to upstart, and that changed things _again_ Why should
openwrt _add_ a duplicate path that needs to be documented and
adds little to no value?

Sincerley,
Karl Palsson