[LEDE-DEV] Release Preparation Questions

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sun Nov 20 19:01:02 PST 2016

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:

>  - git://git.lede-project.org/source.git
>  - feeds.conf.default: git://git.lede-project.org/feed/packages.git
>  - feeds.conf.default: git://git.lede-project.org/project/luci.git
>  - feeds.conf.default: git://git.lede-project.org/feed/routing.git
>  - feeds.conf.default: git://git.lede-project.org/feed/telephony.git
>
> This thread is - among others - about defining a proper process for
> coordinated branching and tagging in all these involved repositories to
> condense the various repository:branch:revision vectors into just one
> version number which then uniquely identifies a revision in
> git://git.lede-project.org/source.git which carries a specific version
> of feeds.conf.default which uniquely references a particular commit in
> each of the external package feed repositories.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to look at the git submodule approach to feeds.

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Tools-Submodules

I believe that I've seen discussions on the git mailing list talking about
submodules and locking down specific submodule releases to work with a specific
parent release.