[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] LED uci policy for not actively used LEDs

Mathias Kresin dev at kresin.me
Thu Nov 10 08:08:45 PST 2016

> Hi Karl,
>
> I think there is not much speaking against making the led init script
> run earlier. I think it would make sense to have it START=11, right
> after /etc/init.d/boot.

I've a TDW-8980 here, where the ath9k driver acts as GPIO controller
for the wireless LED [0]. The wireless led is populated to sysfs only
after the ath9k driver is loaded. This might take some time, since the
ath9k EEPROM needs to be loaded from flash first to fixup an invalid
PCI vendor and device id.

Long story short, changing the START param might lead to a start of
the led init script before all referenced leds are available in sysfs.
At the moment I see this issue already on the TDW-8980 on first boot.
And yes, I know that a propper fix would be some kind of hotplug
script.

Mathias

[0] https://github.com/mkresin/lede/commit/a9068097adab3f768261ae5764732db989bd7353#diff-5776a4a02e4c3a72014fd5c0eeb70963