[LEDE-DEV] How do you develop (compile) LEDE efficiently?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Nov 7 01:58:32 PST 2016

Rafał> On 7 November 2016 at 00:40, Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> wrote:
>> I have a 16-core build box which I connect to over ssh.  I use scp to
>> move images to devices.  I have a testbed with ethernet connections
>> to the build box and serial consoles on most if not all of them.

Rafał> But what about development with modifying files in build_dir?
Rafał> That's the most tricky part for me.

I ssh into the build machine and use whatever my favorite editor of the
moment is (vi or emancs) and modify files.  I don't understand the
problem.

I've even been known to load emacs with X11 over a dialup connection
with ssh X forwarding (20 years ago).  It took a while to start up, but
was generally pretty responsive once started.  In an environment with
flakey network, that could be painful.  GNU screen and
persistent/reconnectable screen sessions on the build machine can help
smooth things out.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net