[LEDE-DEV] How do you develop (compile) LEDE efficiently?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Nov 6 15:40:24 PST 2016

>>>>> "Rafał" == Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> writes:

Rafał> Hey, So far I was always using my notebook for the
Rafał> development. My requirements were Intel i7 quad core + AMD GPU. I
Rafał> was using some Samsung but it's GPU has died and I can't replace
Rafał> it (stupid 216-0811000 chipset).

Rafał> I'm looking for a new notebook, but I can't find anything with i7
Rafał> quad core + AMD GPU. I may need to buy something with i7-6500U or
Rafał> i7-7500U which may be too slow for compiling LEDE.

Rafał> How do you develop LEDE? Do you work on some powerful machine, or
Rafał> do you compile it remotely somehow? If you do it remotely, do you
Rafał> mount remote filesystem? I need a very good access to the
Rafał> build_dir for my needs.

I have a 16-core build box which I connect to over ssh.  I use scp to
move images to devices.  I have a testbed with ethernet connections to
the build box and serial consoles on most if not all of them.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net