[LEDE-DEV] [RFC] ADSL Modem Allnet All0333CJ Rev.C / Amazon-SE SoC

Alberto Bursi alberto.bursi at outlook.it
Thu Nov 3 03:26:31 PDT 2016

On 11/03/2016 10:13 AM, Tino Reichardt wrote:
> Most of these Modems have only a very small flash of 2MB or 4MB .. so
> there is no need for lot of stuff. My aim is to have nice DSL modems
> with recent kernel and dsl firmware. pppoe is not really needed, but
> will fit also into that flash, I think.

Default LEDE image (router firmware with switch/router/firewall/wifi)
fits in 4MiB of flash (also with luci webinterface, if it is integrated
at firmware generation time), there are plenty of other supported
devices with 4MiB of flash.

2MiB is very low and might not be enough even if you cut down things,
but for a modem you don't really need much.

> Where should I add my pictures and descriptions of that modem. Should I
> make an extra project page onto my homepage, or is the lede wiki okay
> for that? When okay, I need some sample device page of current lede
> wiki.

For now the lede wiki isn't ready yet for devices, you can open a thread
in the LEDE forum in the development section, and the info will be moved
to the wiki when it is ready.
https://forum.lede-project.org/

> Is it important, to have an own working uboot, or should I create some
> kernel/rootfs image first ? What is the correct way? When I brick the
> current vendor uboot, is there a way, to restore it via serial
> interface?

Most LEDE devices don't touch the vendor u-boot (or bootloaders) unless
they really have to, the LEDE firmware you make should mimic the stock
firmware's place on flash so the bootloader will boot it without
complaining.

The reason is that if you do a mistake and corrupt/damage the uboot, the
device will not boot anymore and recovery will require complex
procedures with (expensive) JTAG tools or desoldering the flash chip and
using another device to re-program it.

-Alberto