[LEDE-DEV] [RFC] Enable kmod-ipt-debug by default

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat May 28 03:11:08 PDT 2016

Hi Jo,

On 27.05.2016 12:45, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 27.05.2016 10:33, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
>>
>> If a kmod is specifically disabled by default settings then it usually
>> has a performance penalty attached with it, even when not loaded.
>>
>> I'd be grateful if someone could do some iperf throughput testing with
>> and without kmod-ipt-debug built/enabled/loaded and see if it makes any
>> difference at all.
>
> I did look at the code, and AFAICS the only code path affected by
> compiling but not loading xt_TRACE is:
> [...]
>
> If someone wants to perform iperf testing, the key to making the impact
> of the additional code path measurable is to have a few hundred iptables
> rules matching the iperf traffic. That way, the additional code path
> gets maximum impact.

What would be the most useful iperf tests? LAN-Client to LAN-Client
bridging, LAN-Client to Router, or something completely different?

I can perform iperf testing, but I don't have enough hard disk space and
CPU resources to build the required images for my Archer C7 v2.

If anyone can provide images which only differ in availability of
KernelPackage/ipt-debug, I will test them on my TP-Link Archer C7 v2
with iperf.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel