[LEDE-DEV] Multi-Profile selection support

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Mon May 23 04:59:25 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-23 13:56, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> On 23 May 2016 at 13:38, Felix Fietkau <nbd at nbd.name> wrote:
>> after a long delay, I finally got around to looking into multi profile
>> selection again. After reviewing your code and thinking about it some
>> more, I decided to go with a slightly different approach from the one
>> that you took.
>>
>> I'm working towards not only being able to build an image with support
>> for a specific set of devices, but also being able to optionally build
>> multiple images at once with the per-image rootfs being affected by the
>> device profile as well.
>>
>> This can currently only work properly with the new image building code
>> along with having the device profile data specified in the Device
>> section, so I limited multi-profile selection to that.
>>
>> As a next step, I'm going to add some wrapper code to allow the legacy
>> image building code to be incrementally converted as well without having
>> to adjust everything to the new Build/* chunks right away.
>
> Is it worth it? If there are some targets really wanting this feature
> I guess we could convert them to the new Device/* building system. My
> knowledge is surely limited but I can try to help with that. I somehow
> managed to convert brcm47xx and improve bcm53xx.
The multi-profile stuff is something we want to have for all targets, so
that we can avoid hackish scripts involving the image builder and
multiple build passes.
Converting ar71xx is going to be a lot of work, especially testing all
those different devices - unless you can find a way to automate that by
proving that the output stays the same with the old and the new code,
but I don't know if our reproducible build support is quite there yet.

- Felix