[LEDE-DEV] OpenWRT tree vs LEDE tree

Daniel Curran-Dickinson daniel at daniel.thecshore.com
Fri May 20 03:22:20 PDT 2016

On 16-05-20 05:44 AM, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 04:13:37AM -0400, Daniel Curran-Dickinson wrote:
>> On 16-05-20 04:08 AM, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>>>>
>>> the whole point of my side sentence was to give a hint that maybe my
>>> impressions and suggestions are not entirely unfounded or discardable.
>>> it's up to the reader to check my "creds" if they don't take my word.
>>
>> The problem is that you were using "big openly governed communities" to
>> suggest that you had experience in how successful openly governed
>> projects work.  If that's not actually the case, then there is no point
>> to saying what you said, other than to try and *sound* like you know
>> something you don't.
>>
> how exactly is that not covered by what i just said?

"this didn't imply anything in particular about how these communities are
run, or that lede should copy their modus opandi."

You seem not to have meant this sentence the way I too it, which is as
turning around and saying KDE and/or Qt may or may not be open
communities, and that it was irrelevant whether they were or not.

My point is that the only relevance to you saying you participate in
"*big* openly governed communities" is to imply that you know what a
successful openly governed community looks like.

IF that is what you are saying then it is entirely relevant to look at
those communities to see what, if anything, from them applies.

IF that is not what you are saying then that sentence is just puffery.

I'm not saying someone has to be a member of such a community to have an
opinion, but you're implying that your opinion should be given weight
*because of* your participation in such a community, which is why
examining the claim is relevant, in addition to looking at the
communities and seeing what can be learned from them.

The issue I have is not with the notion of transparency, but that that
you imply that your particular view isn't just an opinion but based on
experience, but then you turn around and say it's irrelevant whether the
communities are open or not.

You're not making sense in this respect.

Regards,

Daniel