[LEDE-DEV] running stuff as !root

Etienne Champetier champetier.etienne at gmail.com
Wed May 18 00:49:27 PDT 2016

Hi,

> On 18/05/2016 09:21, Radu Anghel wrote:
>> /* sending again because i hit 'reply' instead of 'reply all' :) */
>>
>> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 8:29 AM, John Crispin <john at phrozen.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> ok, there had been some discussion about building a super daemon that
>>> runs, then ld-preloading bind() and co and using ubus to transport
>>> sockets around. using caps or /proc sounds like a good i between until
>>> such a daemon exists
>>>

>> Most daemons I know of that need to bind to ports <1024 start as root
>> and after binding to the port they drop privileges to the privileges
>> of the user specified in their config file. For those daemons just
>> adding a user and specifying it in their config file should be enough.
>> For the daemons that don't need to bind to <1024 just starting them
>> from their own user account is ok as they don't need additional
>> privileges.
>>
>> For example the dnsmasq daemon has these options:
>>
>> # If you want dnsmasq to change uid and gid to something other
>> # than the default, edit the following lines.
>> #user=
>> #group=
>>
>> I don't think that integrating such functionality in ubus or some
>> other LEDE-only super-daemon is a good idea. Config options +
>> capabilities for those daemons withut such options is a good way of
>> doing this in my opinion. Also use different users for different
>> daemons, as others said.
>
> to elaborate, imagine dnsmasq running inside a jailm where ut only
> thinks it is root but is not in reality. also ld-preloading bind and
> connect would allow us to do pretty adavnced stuff like only allowing
> dnsmasq to open certain ports. essentially an acl around the
> bind/connect calls.
>
>         John

Capabilities is the way to go.
Filesystem capabilities are painfull, so we will use process
capabilities (inherited from procd).

I've already integrated normal capabilities in ujail, so you can run
as "reduced" root.

You can inherit capabilities between non root user (if you have
capabilities to inherit...) but the program as to do it explicitly,
so for exemple i could (not yet supported) launch zabbix with
CAP_NET_RAW and user zabbix, but subprocess of zabbix will not be able
to use it.

For subprocess to inherit capabilities without using root user, we
need to look into ambient capabilities (linux 4.3)

Cheers
Etienne