[LEDE-DEV] Why does multiple instance dnsmasq work with jails but not without?

Daniel Curran-Dickinson daniel at daniel.thecshore.com
Tue May 17 23:37:56 PDT 2016

On 16-05-18 02:32 AM, John Crispin wrote:
> it probably checks for a pid file or similar to see if it is already
> running. inside a jail it essentially only runs once as it is a
> container. so i would guess its pid file of proc table related.

It is most likely proc table then (I had separate pidfiles, so that
wasn't the issue); I had forgotten jails had a separate process space.

I think avahi-daemon actually does the same thing.

(Although from the looks if it the daemon I'm interested in getting
working on LEDE where mdns wouldn't be sufficient, with the right procd
config, is CUPS, and that's because it dynamically creates entries for
each printer attached, rather than a single service entry (and things
that depend on CUPS mDNS depend on the info in the printer-specific entry)).

Regards,

Daniel