[LEDE-DEV] A request not making IRC necessary to be part of the action

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Tue May 17 21:52:26 PDT 2016

On 18/05/2016 03:10, Daniel Curran-Dickinson wrote:
> On 16-05-17 05:22 AM, John Crispin wrote:
>> well that is status quo, IRC is used to discuss real time stuff and give
>> user support.
>>
>> all other stuff is on the list. meetings being the only thing still on
>> IRC due to lack of better options right now. meetings are however held
>> late during EU TZ which is early US to accommodate both timezones. so i
>> am not really getting the point of this thread. people seem to be
>> arguing over something that is not even the case. no one requested
>> anyone to be on IRC. all other means of comms are possible and get used
>> to the same extend as IRC.
>
> I was told in the past by one of founding LEDE team members (who shall
> rename nameless unless he chooses to comment himself), that if I really
> wanted to participate in OpenWrt community that I needed to be on IRC
> (in a private mail to me).

the way you word this you are prolly pointing at me. at openwrt, irc/IM
was an integral part i guess. i don't consider it to be integral for
lede at all. right now it seems to be used for general support foo and
"could you quickly do this" "what do you think about that" "have you
seen". as you may have noticed that amount of general discussion on the
mailing list has increased and people seem to be a lot more responsive.

	John