[LEDE-DEV] A request not making IRC necessary to be part of the action

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon May 16 05:00:30 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-05-16 at 12:46 +0100, Bruno Randolf wrote:
> On 15/05/16 05:53, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> >
> > I'd really appreciate if we could actually use the mailing list for the
> > main communications venue rather than shutting out people not in the
> > European timezones, which is what happens if IRC is the main way to
> > participate in the community.
> >
> > I have been told that to really be part of the OpenWrt action I should
> > have been on IRC; but I'm not in European timezone so that is not
> > actually a useful suggestion, since most of the most people most
> > relevant to decision-making are in Europe, and I would hope LEDE has a
> > more *inter-continental focus than OpenWrt had.
> Agreed! I don't have time to hang out in IRC channels, usually. Or maybe
> a different working style... (it distracts me too much). Anyhow I think
> all important things and all things which don't need real-time
> interaction should go thru the mailing list, please.

FWIW, IRC doesn't have to have real-time behaviour, and doesn't have to
be constantly distracting.

It's perfectly possible to have IRC conversations with people who are
never awake at the same time as you. You say something, they respond
when they wake up... and you respond when *you* wake up. Just like
email, in fact.

IRC gives you the *option* of real-time conversation, if you happen to
be awake at the same time.

And you don't have to pay attention to the channel all the time; an IRC
client should highlight if your nick is mentioned because someone is
talking you to specifically.

IRC is great for conversations which are more ephemeral, and don't need
to be archived for posterity.

--
dwmw2