[LEDE-DEV] ar71xx v4.4 testing

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Sat May 14 12:32:37 PDT 2016

On 14.5.2016 21:33, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> On 2016-05-14 12:56, Hannu Nyman wrote:
>> Sorry but no beef. I still end up in a reboot loop with my WNDR3800.
>> I applied your two 4.4. patches manually to my sources.
>>
>> As far as I could see from the LEDs, the router reboots before the failsafe
>> entrance point is reached. Behaviour looks similar as before your patches. (I
>> have been compiling and trying 4.4 monthly ever since nbd introduced 4.4
>> support for ar71xx initially and so far every attempt has been a reboot loop.)
> Please try the updated version from my staging tree, it should work now:
> http://git.lede-project.org/lede/nbd/staging.git
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Felix

Thanks, Felix.
Your patch fixed booting for me. I applied your commit
60069b2270882d70069a2da3664e87791f9b76c3 on top of John's two patches, as
they did not seem to conflict. The router booted ok after the flash.

(note that in patch 620-... Felix hardcoded the value 3 instead of using
QCA953X_DDR_REG_FLUSH_PCIE (and _WMAC), while John fixed those symbols'
values in his changes to the patch 620-... and in the new patch 480-... )

However, a negative symptom is that the radios are disabled. I did not apply
your new mac80211 patch, so that might be a reason. "wifi detect" produces no
output.  I haven't tried to debug that any further, but just wanted to tell
that the WNDR3800 router finally boots with kernel 4.4, so the changes from
Felix are to the right direction.