[LEDE-DEV] Concern over kernel: backport patches improving fq_codel drop behavior

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Fri May 13 02:57:50 PDT 2016

Hi All,

I've just seen
https://github.com/lede-project/source/commit/fad8bdfa40df8636a52d770bbab010086c1976ec
go through and wish to raise a concern:

The patch introduces a kernel API change 'qdisc_tree_decrease_qlen'
replaces 'qdisc_tree_decrease_qlen' without a corresponding kernel
version number change.  This will cause kmod_sched_cake to fail to build
on lede 4.4 kernels.  A patch for kmod-sched-cake could be done, however
that would make the package incompatible with openwrt until it also
carries the above kernel patch (it would fail the 'other way around')

Personally, I think the patch is too invasive until an official backport
is done (with corresponding kernel revision which can be tested for by
kmod-sched-cake)

I'm *very* much *for* the fq_codel batch drop functionality and that
ideally should be in a lede 4.4 patch, without the API change.  I attach
a patch that I think more suitable...or would form the basis of
something more suitable at least.

Apologies for the somewhat rush job on this.... I'm 10 minutes from
rushing out of the door for a week holiday :-)

Kevin