[LEDE-DEV] LEDE TODO: Convert ar71xx to devicetree

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Tue May 10 03:54:58 PDT 2016

On 10/05/2016 11:39, Antony Pavlov wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I have just seen https://www.lede-project.org/todo.html
>
> There is the "Convert ar71xx to devicetree" entry.
>
> I'm working on this topic. You can see my patchseries
> in the mips-linux mailing list:
>
>   https://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2016-03/msg00256.html).
>
> The patchseries is accepted by Ralf.
>
> Please describe LEDE community plans on this topic.
>
> LEDE TODO list contains the "Bump all kernels to v4.4" entry.
> Are you planning add ar71xx devicetree support for linux-4.4
> inside LEDE project?
>
> I suppose I have to add some ar71xx kernel LEDE developers
> to Cc in my future ar71xx patches for linux-mips.
> Could you please recommend me somebody?

Hi Antony,

i have been keeping an eye on your upstream activity. thanks for the effort.

making use of the dts support in the tree consists of 2 parts

1) backport any changes you sent upstream to our tree or simply build a
staging tree based on 4.6/7

2) convert the large number of mach-* files we currently have into dts files

when we converted ralink to dts, we built a framework to run the mac
files init code on a x86 machine in batches. this framework then
remembered what the mach files registered as devices and quirks and
converted this into dts syntax. this worked for 80% of files, but a few
quirks required us to extend some of_ callbacks in various drivers.

in the case of ar71xx i would suggest that we o a migration path where
we start to convert a few boards at a time.

as for adding people into Cc: i think everyone is on the linux-mips
mailing list already. this whole idea was spawned by the patches you
have been submitting.

my question to you would be, how big is the delta between v4.4 and 4.6/7
in regard to ath79 dts support patches ?

	John