[LEDE-DEV] Buildbot

John Allen john at klam.ca
Tue May 10 02:54:17 PDT 2016

I may be asking a stupid question, but why does the build system have to
build everything every time.

Under OpenWRT a typical build will take 12 - 16+ hours, of which 10+
will be spent building the packages. very few of which will have changed.

Would it be possible to split the base system and the packages into two
separate builds in order to speed up the build process.

Would it be possible to build only those packages that have changed. I
realize that if some underlying common source code has changed then all
the affected apps will need to be rebuilt. However, if a linked library
has changed why do we recompile, why not just re-link?

I will now retire to bunker and await the flak.

John A