[LEDE-DEV] On the proposed Mantis and maximizing bug usefulness

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sun May 8 18:24:23 PDT 2016

On 05/08/2016 05:57 PM, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed there is at least a proposal on the table to use Mantis.
> Obviously that's something I'm in favour of, but I want to help you make
> it as useful as possible, including limiting how much developers having
> to deal with useless bug reports (which is a problem basically every
> project, regardless of open source, proprietary, or scale, struggles with).
>
> To that end I would propose a couple of things for the use of Mantis
> (and volunteer to help with the effort).
>
> 1) I like the suggestion of one the of list members made of having
> something on the device that you clicked on and it prefilled as much as
> possible of the relevant information (like arch, model, etc) into the
> bug report (for example a luci screen that hooked into Mantis API (I
> assume they have one)) and required such fields are guaranteed to be
> required, and before submitting to the bug tracker, force the user to at
> least claim that the information genuinely met the guidelines.  I'd be
> happy to whip up something like this, that fit what you wanted.

Don't make it required, it is possible a user cannot actually provide
the information for whatever reason and otherwise has a perfectly fine
bug report.

Make it suggested, and make it easy to provide, and users will likely
do the right thing most of the time.

THanks,
Ben

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>