[LEDE-DEV] On the proposed Mantis and maximizing bug usefulness

Daniel Dickinson lede at daniel.thecshore.com
Sun May 8 17:57:25 PDT 2016

Hi,

I noticed there is at least a proposal on the table to use Mantis.
Obviously that's something I'm in favour of, but I want to help you make
it as useful as possible, including limiting how much developers having
to deal with useless bug reports (which is a problem basically every
project, regardless of open source, proprietary, or scale, struggles with).

To that end I would propose a couple of things for the use of Mantis
(and volunteer to help with the effort).

1) I like the suggestion of one the of list members made of having
something on the device that you clicked on and it prefilled as much as
possible of the relevant information (like arch, model, etc) into the
bug report (for example a luci screen that hooked into Mantis API (I
assume they have one)) and required such fields are guaranteed to be
required, and before submitting to the bug tracker, force the user to at
least claim that the information genuinely met the guidelines.  I'd be
happy to whip up something like this, that fit what you wanted.

2) I repeat my offer to help with triage (i.e. making sure what does get
posted is actually useful before a developer sees it) and my suggestion
of asking for others to help with this, and providing the necessary
access to make it happn.

Regards,

Daniel