[LEDE-DEV] RFC: Throughput testing results.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri May 6 18:06:43 PDT 2016

On 05/06/2016 05:54 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

>>> That's so much latency that you may as well be down.
>>>
>>> Please look at the make-wifi-fast mailing list and the tests that are
>>> being done there. they show latency spikes as well as throughput, and show
>>> how it is very
>>> possible to get low latency without affecting throughput (in some cases,
>>> throughput actually increases)
>>

>> I did some tcp/udp mix, tcp only, udp only download tests, with fq_codel and
>> fifo-fast on the traffic
>> generator.  AP was un-changed, seems LEDE uses fq_codel by default.
>> Generator is using 4.4.8+ kernel, and it looks
>> like fq_codel works nicely!
>
> I have *no idea* what I'm looking at here:
>
> http://www.candelatech.com/examples/ventana/ventana-tcp-codel-dl_1462569548/chart-2.png
>
> 60 stations and 4sec latency?

Each of those red squares is the one-way latency for one of the 64 tcp connections.
There are 64 virtual stations, one TCP connection per station (in the right-hand side).

The black line graph shows number of active stations, so on the left there are fewer
stations and thus fewer tcp connections.

I'm only sending one-way traffic (not counting ACKs), so no round-trip time is
reported.

The timestamps are calculated when I push the data into the socket, subtracted from
the time the data is received from the peer socket.  I am sending 64k 'TCP' packets,
so the timestamp is not on a per-packet basis, but more of how long it takes to send
64k.  I will re-run with MTU sized 'packets' next time and see if it changes much.

I ran several tests, and some looked a bit better than this, but it is not that much
of an outlier...  They are definitely better than what I saw with fifo-fast as far
as latency is concerned, however.

Thanks,
Ben

--