[LEDE-DEV] RFC: Throughput testing results.

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri May 6 17:37:34 PDT 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> On 05/06/2016 12:05 PM, David Lang wrote:

>>> Yes, 10 seconds of latency.  My traffic generator is using pfifo-fast,
>>> RENO, and default socket sizes, so it can be at least part of the
>>> problem.
>>

>> That's so much latency that you may as well be down.
>>
>> Please look at the make-wifi-fast mailing list and the tests that are
>> being done there. they show latency spikes as well as throughput, and show
>> how it is very
>> possible to get low latency without affecting throughput (in some cases,
>> throughput actually increases)
>

> I did some tcp/udp mix, tcp only, udp only download tests, with fq_codel and
> fifo-fast on the traffic
> generator.  AP was un-changed, seems LEDE uses fq_codel by default.
> Generator is using 4.4.8+ kernel, and it looks
> like fq_codel works nicely!
>
> http://www.candelatech.com/examples/ventana/
>
> We'll run some tests on some of our higher-performing APs and see if
> fq_codel works well there
> too when we get a chance....

At the qdisc layer fq_codel is presently at, it is still difficult to
remove baseline latency at lower speeds nor serve multiple stations
well.

we can do much better with the patches that michal is working on

http://blog.cerowrt.org/flent/qca-10.2-fqmac35-codel-5-wifi/slow_fast_simultaneously.svg

The blog series analyzing the impact of these patches is at:
http://blog.cerowrt.org/tags/wifi/

starting, basically, here:

http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/fq_codel_on_ath10k/

It would be good to also get an ath9k and mt72 version working

> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>