[LEDE-DEV] Proposal to sign all commits

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri May 6 11:58:12 PDT 2016

On Fri, 6 May 2016, Kus wrote:

>> Regarding signing commits with GPG key, it would be nice to recommend it but
>> making it a requirement sounds like a barrier.
>
> I'd argue such a barrier is OK if we want to quickly increase the size of the
> team of people with commit access. I think we're underestimating our
> contributors here. I agree that we shouldn't have unnecessary barriers (such
> as copyright assignment to give a specific example).

I'm not representing LEDE, but I have to ask, why do we think that we need a lot
of people with commit access?

Linux Kernel works just fine with only one person having commit access (Linus)

I think this is legacy thinking based on SVN.

With Git, you don't need a lot of people with commit access, everyone can have
their own tree and create branches to be pulled by a single person (or small
group of people), potentially through a hierarchy similar to how the Linux
kernel maintainers merge things from their area and then Linus merges from them
to the final tree.

Too many people with commit access to the central tree just leads to more ways
to trip over each other.

David Lang