Proposal to sign all commits

Matthias Schiffer mschiffer at universe-factory.net
Thu May 5 10:56:04 PDT 2016

On 05/05/2016 07:43 PM, David Lang wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016, Ben Greear wrote:
>
>> On 05/05/2016 07:30 AM, Kus wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ben,
>>>
>>> Just to be clear. We're talking about signing git commits, not emails. I
>>> apologize for my ugly emails though.
>>
>> I don't want to sign those either.  Signed-off-by and the actual code to
>> read (and revert if needed) is plenty.  If there is a goal to allow more
>> easy access to be a contributor, then making someone figure out how to
>> sign commits is surely going the wrong direction.
>
> Also, wouldn't signed commits prevent adding reviewd-by, acked-by, etc tags
> to the commit message?
>
> David Lang

As I understand git's commit signing feature, the signature is something
that is added by the committer, not the author. This means:

- the format-patch/send-email format does *not* contain a signature
- reviewed-by etc. can be added like before
- signatures are added by those with push access during commit, rebase, am,
... commands

I like the idea of signing all commits (my commits are already signed by
default.)

Matthias