[LEDE-DEV] List Prefix

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu May 5 09:15:32 PDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-05-05 at 12:23 -0300, Fernando Frediani wrote:
> Quick question to those who don't like the idea of having a prefix in
> the subject: Is this a big deal ?

Nothing's really a "big deal". Life's too short to claim that.

If I see messages where the subject appears to be 'lede-dev', when the
bit that stands out *ought* to be 'JFFS2', then I'm going to miss them
and pay no attention. Not that I really do much JFFS2 work these days
anyway, so feel free to ignore that as an irrelevant data point.

But in general, the pollution of the subject line *does* lead to the
subject line not actually being as useful for its *intended* purpose.
Especially when cross-posting across multiple lists which have the same
(mis)configuration.

> Cannot this be compromised in favour of having this enabled for those
> who need it for the reasons justified in previous messages ?

If you must. I did already answer the question of *how* to do it.

But I'd observe that it's easier for people to *add* this nonsense on
the client side of they really want it, than it is to *remove* it
again. You're basically penalising those who *do* set up their mail
clients optimally, for the benefit of those who can't be bothered to.

That is, however, a perfectly rational decision to make, if that's what
you want.

--
dwmw2