List subject prefix?

Joseph Marlin jmarlin at saucontech.com
Thu May 5 06:07:14 PDT 2016

+1 for a [lede-dev] and [lede-adm] tag.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Woodhouse" <dwmw2 at infradead.org>
To: "Hannu Nyman" <hannu.nyman at iki.fi>, lede-dev at lists.infradead.org
Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:02:01 AM
Subject: Re: List subject prefix?

On Thu, 2016-05-05 at 10:23 +0300, Hannu Nyman wrote:
> On 5.5.2016 9:59, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > It's the Mailman default, but it is deliberately disabled on this list
> > (as on many other technical lists where the members are expected to be
> > able to drive their email client properly).
>
> That sounds pretty funny on 2010s when most of us use multiple devices to
> read mail. The list prefix makes it easier to quickly identify the general
> nature of a message on tablet/phone screen

Each of us has different use cases, of course. But for me, having it in
a different folder is even easier — since most of the time when I'm not
at a real computer, I don't even want to *see* the list traffic — and
when I'm out of the country, I *certainly* don't want to pay roaming
data rates for downloading it!

It can go into one of the dozens of mailing list folders. On the *rare* occasion that I actually do want to look at list traffic from a mobile device, it's hardly difficult to switch to that folder (after I make sure I find wifi).

> Sure, we all can tinker with the desktop mail client classification rules,
> but not all mobile apps are that well adjustable. A short list prefix would
> make life more easy.

Yeah, filtering on the *client* side only ever made sense in the POP3
days — where you had only one mail client, on only one machine. You
really do want the *server* to put it in the right place on delivery,
not mess around with it afterwards.

--
dwmw2