[LEDE-DEV] trying to cover costs on my bit of the build cluster

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 04:53:21 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Jo-Philipp Wich <jo at mein.io> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> please tell me if funding becomes problematic, we can always take the
> builder offline and continue with the remaining resources.
>
> Maybe you could also ask the OpenWrt folks whether all Google builders
> are still needed there, given the fact that the builder is recompiling
> the same very git revision since two months already.
>

> ~ Jo

[ Curious here ]
Would it be an idea to spin-up the builders on a as-needed basis ?
Is that something that's already done ?

No idea how this works on Google, but as an example, on DigitalOcean,
there's an API for bringing up/down VMs/machines.
I was thinking it would be interesting to try out an experiment like
this on Digital Ocean (for my own interests) to see about integrating
a CI/CD env with DigitalOcean.

I will say, I have no idea how often builds/commits occur on
LEDE/OpenWrt, and thus no way to know whether this improves anything
(in terms of cost).
So, whatever I'm saying here may be just noise.

One more interesting topic (and at this point Sci-Fi), something that
would be truly interesting is to somehow scale all the routers in the
world (running LEDE/OpenWrt) to pitch-in CPU cycles for build (if they
want to) by installing a package.
Something like 1/5/10% of the CPU power to be allocated for CI/CD.
I wouldn't debate technical challenges right now.
And this is not entirely new in the world ; grid computing has been
around for a while, but it would be interesting to do on routers.
It could make the project be self-sufficient for CI/CD.