[LEDE-DEV] jffs issues on sysupgrade with keeping old config

Josh Bendavid joshbendavid at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 00:25:50 PDT 2016

Hi,
Having some issues with sysupgrade on Archer C2600 (ipq806x with NOR flash).
(from the discussion at
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=327671#p327671)

When doing sysupgrade without keeping config files, everything goes
ok.  In that case at first boot I get

Sat Jun 18 09:50:48 2016 user.notice kernel: [    9.003952]
mount_root: jffs2 not ready yet, using temporary tmpfs overlay

and then later
Sat Jun 18 09:52:21 2016 daemon.info mount_root: performing overlay whiteout

Which I interpret as "jffs not ready at the beginning of init, so use
the ram overlay temporarily, then switch to jffs2 later when it is
ready at the end of the init"

Now instead, running sysupgrade and keeping the configuration, we end
up with the attached log, where somehow the system thinks that jffs2
is ready to use, even if it isn't fully ready, and then there is a
crash when there is an attempt to write to it.

Any ideas here?  It almost looks to me that the check on whether jffs2
is ready at this stage is not strict enough.  (But maybe there is
something else wrong).

Thanks,
Josh