[LEDE-DEV] [RFC] rootfs_data on different MTD outside firmware image

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sat Jun 18 03:06:52 PDT 2016

Hi Adrian,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 11:21:07PM -0500, Adrian Panella wrote:
> Hi, some Linksys devices (i.e WRT1900AC, EA4500, EA8500,...) have two
> different partitions for dual boot, and an additional partition that Linksys
> uses for system config (sysconf).
> Each of these partitions is of a considerable size (23-37 mb, varying
> between devices).
>
> As far as I could see, the ports already in Owrt/LEDE (Kirkwook & Mvebu) use
> only one partition at a time for the overlayfs, so total 23-37mb shared
> among squashfs rom and ubifs overlay.
> In some cases the third partition (sysconf) is mounted, but in /mmt, not
> taking part in the overlay, and so not directly useful for installing
> additional packages.
>
> I believe that a way to better profit all this available space would be to
> leave one partition for the rom squashfs alone (23-37mb there) and share the
> 3rd partition between alternative boots as the ubifs overlay (another
> 23-37mb here). In total we double the space up to a full 74mb for packages,
> reducing the need for extroot.
>

> Have you found any serious disadvantage on this approach, and that's why it
> is not implemented in mvebu/kirkwood? If so, which one?

John explained that in another reply to your mail.

> If we leave ubifs outside the image, and only squash in one MTD, does it add
> any benefit to have squash image on top of an UBI layer? Erase counters
> would be lost between firmware flashes anyway and no other write would occur

NACK. As we do ubiupdatevol for sysupgrade, the erase counters will be
preserved. Even ubiformat would preserve them, and we never write to
ubi-formatted NAND in any other way than either using ubiformat or
ubiupdatevol.

> in between. On the other hand, in the third MTD (i.e. sysconf) the erase
> counters could be preserved between firmware updates, as the ubi block
> doesn't need to be recreated each time, and only a ubiformat could be
> performed on flash.

I don't get what you are talking about.

Cheers

Daniel