[LEDE-DEV] [RFC] sysupgrade image format

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Fri Jun 10 01:55:06 PDT 2016

Hi,

some comments inline

On 09/06/2016 20:41, Alexander Couzens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm posting the results of a small group who talked about the
> sysupgrade image format at the battlemesh in Porto.
>
> sysupgrade
> ##########
>  * don't limit our format by vendor image limitations

i dont understand what is meant by this

>  * should contain meta information
>  * meta data like compatible boards, lede version, ..
>  * meta data gets appended as Trailer to be compatible

that wont work for images that have a checksum at the end

>  * trailer got automatic removed by jffs2 format on first-boot

only works if the kernel is located before the roots and if the image
actually uses jffs2

>  * meta data is a tar ball (compressed)
>
> sysupgrade.img := image + meta + trailer
>
> Trailer
> #######
>  * 8 byte version field (of the trailer) + additional unknown
>    informations

why 8 bytes ? would kvl or json not be much more appropriate ?

>  * 4 byte length of the metadata

putting the length at the end of a file is always weird. why no have a
header, that would save us having to seek the end and not be sure if the
file is completed

>  * x byte crypto signature

who would be owner of the key ?

	John