[LEDE-DEV] WRT1900ACS - Kernel 4.4.12 boot failure

Claudio Leite leitec at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:00:41 PDT 2016

On 06/07/2016 10:48 AM, Dheeran Senthilvel wrote:
[snip]
> =======> Step 3: Reboot <======
> 	After the above procedures, I don’t have the error anymore.

Great -- so you're all set, as far as you can tell?

> Wonder what really caused the problem in first place.

Given the date when you initially had the issue I suspected that it was
due to bugs in the NAND driver that potentially messed things up in your
u_env. I would have expected 'resetenv' to make quick work of cleaning
that up.

It sort of looks like resetenv only half-cleared the problem. At least
on the other model I tested it on it claims to erase the partition.
Something goes wrong at some point here on your model and the old
corrupted data was kept. 'saveenv' forces rewriting the good data back
to flash.

 > Also when we reboot from Failsafe the recovery is automatically
triggered - is this normal.

Failsafe won't reset the failed boot counter, so if it's gone more than
three times since the last successful boot it will indeed trigger
auto-recovery.

> One more doubt would be, should 'env reset' be in this order.
> resetenv ——> reset ——> printing ——> saveenv ——> reset

'printenv' is just a check. I would say

   resetenv; reset

followed by a reboot, and

   saveenv; reset